Since the World Marathon Majors establishment in 2006, the major leagues of the World Marathon have further established their status and become celebrities in the world of road racing. Six marathons – Boston, New York, London, Berlin, Chicago and Tokyo – together formed the series. We’ve got a fun fact for every mile of this classic race distance.
- It is said that this marathon was inspired by the Greek messenger – runner Pheidippides, who ran from the marathon to Athens (about 25 miles) to bring news of Greece victory. After he arrived, Pheidippides shouted: “Rejoice, we are victorious.” Then he collapsed and died. Since then, there has been a marathon every year to commemorate this brave soldier!
- The oldest annual marathon is Boston, which began in 1897. In its first year, there were only 15 competitors, but the popularity of this race has greatly increased! In fact, from 1971 to the year it was so big that the competition required all participants to finish the 26.2 mile race within 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Both the youngest and oldest marathon runners in the world are Indian origin. The former is Budhia Singh, who had completed 48 marathons before his fifth birthday. The latter is Canada’s Fauja Singh. He completed the 8 hours, 11 minutes and 6 seconds of marathon at the age 100. The Kenyan Dennis Kimetto is the world’s fastest marathon runner. In the 2014 Berlin Marathon, he set a world record of 2 hours, 2 minutes and 57 seconds.
- The first modern marathon race was the first modern Olympic Games held in Athens in 1896. It is 24.8 miles long and 17 participants ran from the Marathon Bridge to the Olympic Stadium.
- The New York marathon started in 1970, Largest marathon in the world with 98,247 applicants for the 2017 race。 The London Marathon is the largest annual fundraising event in the world. Since its launch, runners have raised £770 million for charity. In 2011, the highest fund raised by a runner was Steve Chalke, who raised £2.33 million in 2011.
- For some people, running 26.2 miles is not enough, so the “Ultramarathon” was born. An ultramarathon, also known as the ultra distance or ultra running, is 42.195 kilometers (26.219 miles) longer than the traditional marathon. So far, this is the most exhausting and challenging marathon in the world.
- During the 2007 Boston Marathon, there was the first marathon in space. Astronaut Sunita Williams ran 26.2 miles on the International Space Station for 4 hours and 24 minutes.
- There is a marathon in Wales, the race of men and horses. Humans have won twice since 2004, especially on unusually hot days.
- The world’s highest marathon is The Everest Marathon. The starting point is Gorak Shep 5184 meters (17,000 feet) near Everest Base Camp in Nepal. The world’s lowest marathon is The Tiberias marathon, At 200 meters below sea level in the Jordan Valley.
10.France had a marathon, drank a sip of wine to start the game. There are 22 refreshment stands and 21 gourmet foods stalls in the competition, as well as a red carpet on the finish line!
Run a marathon? That’s a pretty awesome thing to do. Use marathon runner custom lapel pins is a great way to remember and celebrate to your (or a friend/ loved one’s) marathon achievement or awesome feat of running 26.2 miles. Also a fun way to identify fellow runners wherever you are in the world!
When planning your next City Marathon, use custom lapel pins or custom enamel pins to promote the race. IRONMAN event, 5k Run or Ch ildren’s Fun Run think of custom lapel pins. Whether you are planning for the NYC Marathon, Boston Marathon, IRONMAN Championships or a local 5K run or marathon we have you covered. We can provide your organization with beautiful custom lapel pins, We can also outfit your event with Custom Medals, Custom Lanyards, Custom Wristbands, Custom Keychains … a time honored proven favorite at any event souvenir stand.
To order your own Running lapel pins, contact GS-JJ through the free price quote form on our website, by emailing Info@GS-JJ.com, or by calling 1-888-864-4755 toll-free. GS-JJ has the amazing discount of 40% Off for all the month of 2018.