Medals From the Blueprint to An Entity
The medal seems simple business gifts, but it has complex craftwork. Today we will share a brief process of making a medal.
It totally has six steps.
- Step one is making the mold, according to the confirmed blueprint from the client to make a 3D mold. Then use steel block material to make the mold. This part is an important step and needs more time. Make sure the mold is the same as the design, we need to bake it in the oven. It will strengthen the hardness of mold. And after baking, we need to bath the part in oil and increase hardness and toughness again.
- Step two, is die-casting, a metal casting process that is characterized by forcing molten metal under high pressure into a mold cavity. In order to protect the mold from pressure, we usually take a steel ring with it together. The common die struck material is a non-ferrous metal, including iron, copper, zinc alloy and aluminum, etc. If there is no problem with the first mold, then we can launch into mass production.
- Step Three is polishing the mold, the quality of medal depends on this step. Polish helps to move the extra metal on the side, which makes it smooth, bright, and shiny.
- Step four, we need to do the plating. Plating is a surface covering in which a metal is deposited on a conductive surface. For example, to make the gold plating, put the mold around a copper wire, then put them into the sink with certain chemicals. After this, we use water to wash them. Then bake them in an oven again. The custom medal is coming into being.
- Step five is coloring the mold. The worker usually uses needles with pigment to finish this process. Choose the right color, then the liquid will be poured into the mold and left to set until it is firm. After that, put it in the oven again.
- Step six, finally the worker needs to make quality control for the medal. Make sure the medal is to meet clients’ requirements. And prepare the poly-bag for each medal after checking. In the automated production era, medals are still needed so many manual operations and it’s really skilled work. After knowing more about the process, we should cherish the medal more than before, because each custom medal has workers so many hard-working. Easy process? Leave your opinion…